Right now, you might not know whether or not to file a wrongful death claim. Before you can decide whether or not to pursue a claim, you need to understand the potential damages that you may be able to recover.
Types of Damages You May Recover
While not every case will result in the same damages, or the same amount of damages, wrongful death cases could result in estates recovering compensation for:
- Medical bills incurred from the time of the accident until death. This includes any medical treatment, whether at the scene of the accident, at the hospital, or elsewhere, that was made necessary by the injuries sustained in the accident.
- Funeral expenses. Funerals or other memorials can be costly and may be compensable.
- Lost income. Your loved one may have contributed significantly to your family’s income. You may be able to recover for lost income from the date of the accident until the reasonably anticipated retirement date of your loved one.
- Out-of-pocket costs. The cost of your loved one’s bike and any other property damage or out-of-pocket expenses may be recovered.
- Non-economic damages. These are the intangible, yet likely most important, damages you can recover. While the system is not perfect, it may provide compensation for the important relationship that has been lost.
Generally, punitive damages are not recoverable in a wrongful death action after a fatal motorcycle accident. However, some exceptions may apply and it is important to discuss all of your possible damages with an experienced motorcycle accident attorney.
How Your Damages Will Be Decided
The damages that your loved one’s estate may recover will depend on the unique circumstances of your loved one’s death. You can get an accurate assessment of these potential damages by talking to an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer who will consider the specific facts of your loved one’s life and of his accident. If you would like to contact a motorcycle accident lawyer for a free consultation about your rights and possible recovery then please start a live chat with us today.