You may or may not recognize the symptoms of spinal stenosis soon after a motorcycle crash. However, this type of spinal injury can progress and leave you with permanent pain or even paralysis. Accordingly, if you have suffered spinal stenosis from a motorcycle accident, then it is important to understand your condition and to speak with an attorney about your legal options.
Spinal Stenosis Symptoms and Treatments
The trauma of a bike crash can cause your spinal column to shift out of alignment. This may result in a narrowing of the spinal canal which compresses the nerves and which may cause significant pain, debilitating symptoms and lifelong disability if it is not treated.
Symptoms of spinal stenosis include:
- Numbness, stiffness, cramping, or pain in the neck, back, shoulders, arms, buttocks, thighs, or calves.
- Balance and coordination problems
- Difficulty walking
- Weakness in one or more limbs
- Difficulty controlling your bladder or bowels
These symptoms may worsen when you stand or walk. You may have difficulty standing for any length of time.
If you experience any of these symptoms then you should speak to a doctor right away. Additionally, since symptoms of this condition may not appear right away, it is important to seek medical treatment after any serious motorcycle crash.
If you are diagnosed with spinal stenosis, then your treatment may include:
- Pain medication.
- Anti-inflammatory medication.
- Physical therapy.
- Chiropractic treatment.
- Steroid injections.
Of course, medical treatment is unique for each individual who suffers this type of injury.
And So Too Is Your Legal Recovery
Every legal recovery is unique. Your specific recovery may depend on things such as…
- How your injury is impacting your life.
- Your prognosis.
- The cost of your medical treatments.
- The amount of income you are unable to earn because of your injury.
- The percentage of fault attributed to each party to the accident.
- The evidence available to prove liability.
And your recovery may depend on how hard your attorney is willing to fight for your recovery. At Hupy and Abraham many of our attorneys are also avid riders and we are committed to helping every injured motorcyclist get a fair recovery. We will fight hard for your recovery. Please start a free chat with us now to learn more.