With great fun and freedom comes great risk. Motorcycle riding in Illinois is a combination of freedom and vulnerability on the road.
According to the Network of Employers for Traffic Safety (NETS), although the rate of fatalities in passenger car wrecks went down between 1997 and 2005, deaths from motorcycle wrecks increased by 115 percent.
Because motorcycles are able to travel at high rates of speed yet offer minimal rider protection, they are the most dangerous vehicles to operate. The chances of your getting into a motorcycle crash in Illinois are higher than the chances of other vehicle drivers getting into accidents.
Following are some serious facts from NETS regarding motorcycle accidents. In passing this information on to you, the Illinois motorcycle accident attorneys of Hupy and Abraham hope to strengthen your commitment to safety, caution, and total awareness when you ride.
Motorcycle Wrecks Involving Two Vehicles in 2006
- More than half (51 percent) of motorcycles in fatal wrecks collided with another vehicle while in motion; 79 percent of those motorcycles experienced impact in the front, only 5 percent in the back.
- Of total fatalities in motorcycle crashes, 55 percent involved another vehicle.
- In 40 percent (883) of the 2,226 fatal accidents involving a motorcycle and another vehicle, the other vehicle was turning left while the motorcycle was going straight, passing, or overtaking the vehicle.
- In 26 percent (582) of the crashes, both vehicles were going straight.
- Of two-vehicle crashes involving a motorcycle and another vehicle, in which the motorcyclist died, 93 percent happened on non-interstate roads.
- Of two-vehicle crashes involving a motorcycle and another vehicle, in which the motorcyclist died, 51 percent were intersection accidents.
- In 40 percent of two-vehicle crashes involving a motorcycle and another vehicle, the other vehicle was going straight, passing, or overtaking the vehicle.
Motorcycle Wrecks With Fixed Objects in 2006
Motorcycles are more likely than are other kinds of vehicles to be in a fatal collision with a fixed object. Of total fatal single-vehicle collisions with a fixed object, 25 percent were motorcycles, 18 percent were passenger cars, 12 percent were light trucks, and 3 percent were large trucks.
Don’t become an Illinois motorcycle crash statistic. If you ever need an Illinois bike injury lawyer, contact Hupy and Abraham. Call us toll free at 800-800-5678 and we will connect you to an experienced attorney from our Bloomington, Rockford, or Gurnee office. Just for calling, we would be glad to send you our FREE book of useful information, The Ultimate Guide for Motorcycle Accident Victims.