Approximately 1 of every 8 women in the United States will develop invasive breast cancer, according to information provided by breastcancer.org, and it is estimated that 40,000 women died of this disease in 2014. Hupy and Abraham is committed to raising awareness and research money for breast cancer so that fewer women will suffer from this condition in the future.
Here’s Some of What We’ve Done
During the early 2000’s we:
- Participated in the 2004 Wisconsin Breast Cancer Showcase. The Hupy family donated the use of the home at 4640 North Lake Drive as part of the Breast Cancer Showhouse in memory of Gertrude Spenner. Visitors paid a donation for a tour of the home. On September 14, 2004, the Wisconsin Breast Cancer Showhouse, a non-profit organization, presented a check for $350,000.00 to T. Michael Bolger, President of the Medical College of Wisconsin. The check presented to Bolger represents the net amount of proceeds from the Breast Cancer Showhouse and other activities sponsored by the committee this summer. As of 2004, this was the largest amount ever raised and presented to the Medical College of Wisconsin for breast cancer research. Approximately 200 people attended the appreciation dinner sponsored by the law firm of Hupy and Abraham on the evening of September 14, 2004. The guests sitting at the Hupys’ table included Mr. and Mrs. Bolger, Mr. and Mrs. James Gehl, and Eileen Dubner, one of the driving forces behind the Breast Cancer Showhouse since its inception seven years ago when the original donation to the Medical College was $42,000.00.
- Sponsored the appreciation dinner at the 2005 Wisconsin Breast Cancer Showhouse. That year, the event raised $400,000.
- Sponsored the appreciation dinner at the 2006 Wisconsin Breast Cancer Showhouse. That year, a check for $500,000.00 was presented to the Medical College of Wisconsin for cancer research.
- Continued our sponsorship of the Wisconsin Breast Cancer Showhouse in 2007 by sponsoring the luncheon and fashion show.
- Participated in the Ridin to a Cure motorcycle event in 2007. Attorney Jason Abraham is on the board of the foundation and the event raised over $300,000 for breast cancer research. The program started on a Friday night with a party and the ride was Saturday. Over two thousand riders participated in the 2 ½ hour ride. This was the 13th annual ride and the total that has been raised so fair is over $2.5 million.
- Sponsored the Wisconsin Breast Cancer Showhouse for the fifth consecutive year in 2008. That year, the firm sponsored the event’s Luncheon and Fashion show. Since its inception in 1998, the Wisconsin Breast Cancer Showhouse has raised over $3 million for breast cancer research at the Medical College of Wisconsin. The annual event spans over a six-month period of time and includes a Preview Party, Designer Day, Golf Outing, Reception at the Showhouse, Luncheon and Fashion Show, and Holiday Party.
- Sponsored the Luncheon and Fashion show as part of the Wisconsin Breast Cancer Showhouse in 2009. This was the firm’s sixth consecutive year supporting this worthy organization that funds cancer research.
- Participated in the 2009 Ridin' to a Cure motorcycle event to benefit breast cancer research. We are proud to report that the event raised a total of $230,000. Not bad for 1,400 riders on a Saturday! This brings the total raised by "Ridin' to a Cure" to almost $3 million. Attorney Jason F. Abraham has been on the foundation's board for the past 5 years.
- Became the presenting sponsor of the 2011 Wisconsin Breast Cancer Showhouse, Inc. The firm's donation helped support the 2011 Pinktacular Survivors Fashion Show and Luncheon. Wisconsin Breast Cancer Showhouse (WBCS) is an all-volunteer charitable organization. The mission of WBCS is to fund early stage breast cancer and prostate cancer research for patients who can be helped today and for those individuals diagnosed with these diseases in the future.
- Supported the Wanda L. Martin Breast Cancer Memorial Fund at the “Evening of Hope and Celebration” event held at Aurora Sinai Medical Center in 2011. This event raises donations to support breast cancer survivors and those that will have a chance at survivorship by way of education, awareness, and early detection.
- Received a personal thank you for contributing to the University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center (UWCCC) in 2012. With the help of the law firm, the university can help find a cure for breast cancer and help save lives. The UWCCC is recognized throughout the Midwest and the nation as one of the leading innovators in cancer research, quality patient care and active community involvement. UWCCC is the only comprehensive care center, as designated by the National Cancer Institute, in Wisconsin. Every day on the University of Wisconsin-Madison campus, more than 2,300 dedicated individuals and students work together to find the best ways to detect, prevent, diagnose and treat different forms of cancer.
- Participated in the 18th Annual Riding for a Cure event held by the Rock River Harley Owners Group at Wisconsin Harley-Davidson on September 22, 2012. Hupy and Abraham was a sponsor of the ride and Attorney Jason Abraham participated in the ride. Proceeds went to the Rock River Cancer Research Foundation, Inc. where Attorney Abraham has served as a board member since 2006 and was President in 2012. The yearly ride has raised more than $4 million since its inception. The total amount raised from the 2012 ride was almost $125,000.
We remain committed to doing everything that we can to fund cancer research. Please browse our other library articles and follow us on Facebook to stay up to date on our cancer research efforts.