Most personal injury lawsuits settle before a court verdict is issued, but how will you know if a settlement is right for you? How can you reach a settlement that fairly compensates you for all of your physical injuries?
First, Identify What a Fair Settlement Is for You
A fair settlement is one that you can reasonably expect to recover given the attack that took place, your injuries, and the evidence available to support you. Generally, you should consider a settlement offer to be fair if it compensates you for your past, current, and future:
- Medical expenses. This may include things such as hospital stays, doctors’ appointments, physical therapy, and medications.
- Lost income. This can be a complete or partial loss of income if you can’t work due to your injuries.
- Out-of-pocket costs. Any expenses you incurred because of the attack, such as child care, housekeeping, etc., may be compensable.
- Pain and suffering. You should be able to recover for your physical pain and emotional suffering.
- Other damages. If you’ve suffered specific losses in addition to those listed above, then you may be able to recover for those losses as well.
Of course, most insurance companies will not provide fair settlements unless you or your lawyer convinces them that they have to do so.
Then, Start Negotiating for the Settlement That You Deserve
Insurance companies are in business to maximize their profits. They do this by paying out as little as possible in insurance claims. Thus, the insurance agent assigned to your case is going to want to minimize the amount that you recover in a settlement agreement. In order to settle your case fairly, you will need to:
- Clearly state what your recovery should be and provide the evidence to support your claim.
- Know how to negotiate and be prepared for the insurance company to fight back.
- Watch what you say and how you say it since anything that you say may be used against you.
You may also benefit from working with an experienced personal injury lawyer who understands how a negligent security case works and who isn’t afraid to fight for your fair recovery. To learn more about how to settle your negligent security case, what your case may be worth, or how a lawyer may help with your recovery, please start a live chat with us today or call us at 1-800-800-5678 to schedule your free, no-obligation consultation.