Get Help Now


I think I’m having a bad reaction to a prescription medication. What should I do?

If you suspect that you are having an adverse reaction to a medication, the first thing you should do is think about your health. If you are experiencing dizziness, lightheadedness, chest pain, difficulty breathing, hives, disorientation, or extreme nausea, go to the emergency room. Bring the medication and any other drugs or supplements that you are taking. If you are not in immediate danger, call your doctor or pharmacist to find out if your reaction is normal and whether you should discontinue the medication.

Keep notes about your reaction. Some things you should include in your notes are:

  • When did you take the medication (date and time)?
  • What is the name of the medicine:
  • What is the dosage?
  • Have you taken any other medications, vitamins, or supplements in the past few days? For each additional drug or supplement, provide the names, dosage, and when you took it.
  • Who is the doctor that prescribed the medicine?
  • At what pharmacy was your prescription was filled?
  • How long did it take for you to notice the reaction?
  • What kind of reaction is it?
  • What are your symptoms?
  • How uncomfortable are you? (You may use a rating system from 1 to 10)
  • Does the reaction get better or worse over time?
  • Is the reaction a known side effect of the drug?
  • What did your doctor or pharmacist say about the reaction?
  • Did you receive any treatment or take any medication for the reaction?
  • Did the treatment help?

Keeping notes can help you are having a true drug reaction, a dangerous drug interaction, or new symptoms of the underlying disease. If you suffer injury from the medication reaction, the notes can help your Appleton injury lawyer determine if you have a drug injury case.

Victims of pharmaceutical injuries are often eligible for compensation from the drug companies that make and market the medications. Damages from a Wisconsin drug injury lawsuit can cover medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering and other losses. To learn more, please contact the Appleton personal injury attorneys at Hupy and Abraham at (800) 800-5678 . The initial consultation is free.

Jason F. Abraham
Managing Partner, Hupy and Abraham