Get Help Now


My parents were recently killed by a distracted driver in Iowa. I’m still a minor. Can I contact a lawyer?

I am so sorry to hear about the tragic loss of your parents. Your life, and that of your siblings, was forever changed the moment another driver took his eyes off the road, his hands off the steering wheel, or his mind off driving safely. Whether the accident occurred close to home on I-80, further out on I-74, or anywhere else in the Quad Cities area, the effect on you and your family has been the same.

You ask a very mature question and I presume you are asking about contacting a lawyer so that you may recover financial damages for your parents’ death. Generally, it is the executor of each of your parent’s estates who has the legal right to bring a wrongful death case. If your parents had wills at the time of their death then they likely each named their own executor to fulfill this, and other functions, upon their deaths. If they did not have wills, then the court will appoint someone to serve in this capacity. Any money that is recovered may be held in trust for you and your siblings if your parents both died in the accident.

You have the right to know who the executor is and to talk to that person directly about any of your questions or concerns. To learn more, please watch our free videos and read the free articles available on this website and, please, accept our sincere condolences and our best wishes for the future.

Jason F. Abraham
Managing Partner, Hupy and Abraham