Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that occurs as a natural byproduct when something is burned without adequate ventilation. Engines in cars and trucks, heaters, fireplaces, stoves and generators all produce carbon monoxide. The problem is that carbon monoxide also poses a significant health risk. If an engine or heater is allowed to run without proper ventilation, carbon monoxide can build up causing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, brain damage or even death. Even concentrations as low as 100 parts per million can be dangerous to human health!
Exposure to carbon monoxide can result in carbon monoxide poisoning. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- Chest pain
- Breathing trouble
- Cardiac problems
- Memory loss
- Loss of consciousness
Carbon monoxide poisoning can also cause long-term damage to the heart and the brain. In some cases, it can cause death.
The problem is that carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless. This means it is undetectable by humans. Unfortunately, most Wisconsin carbon monoxide poisoning deaths occur before the victim ever realizes there is a danger.
How to prevent Wisconsin carbon monoxide deaths:
- Have your heating system and any coal-, gas-, or oil-burning appliances serviced each year by a qualified technician.
- Never use a gas or charcoal grill, camp stove, generator, or other gas- or charcoal-burning device indoors, in a garage or near a window.
- Don’t warm up your car inside your attached garage.
- Don’t burn anything in a fireplace or stove that is not vented.
- Don’t use your gas oven to heat your house.
- Install a battery-operated carbon-monoxide detector in your home. If it sounds, leave your home immediately and call 911.
If you feel dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous and suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, go outside immediately.
The Wausau wrongful death attorneys at Hupy and Abraham help families who have lost a loved one to carbon monoxide poisoning in Wisconsin. For more information, contact Hupy and Abraham at 800-800-5678.