Although this might sound silly, it isn’t. Quite often, as a matter of fact, it’s true: motorists just don’t see motorcycles on the road. The most effective way to stay out of a Gurnee motorcycle wreck, then, is to act as though you are invisible.
The Motorcycle Safety Foundation puts out a Quick Tips sheet on “General Guidelines for Riding A Motorcycle Safely,” which includes tips on staying visible to drivers. Here are some of their suggestions:
- Keep in mind that other drivers may have trouble seeing motorcycles; hence, they may not be able to react in time to a potential collision.
- Check your headlight each time you ride, and use it both day and night.
- Put reflective strips or decals on your bike and your clothing.
- Know where cars and trucks have blind spots, and stay out of them.
- Flash your brake light when you slow down or prepare to stop.
- If you believe a driver doesn’t see you, use your horn.
Even if you do everything you can to be visible to drivers, people engage in distracting behavior while they drive. If you are injured in a motorcycle wreck in Gurnee because a distracted driver didn’t see you, contact Gurnee motorcycle crash attorneys Hupy and Abraham. Call us toll free at 800-800-5678 or locally at 414-223-4800. You can fill out our online contact form for a FREE, no-obligation consultation. You can also request our FREE book, The Ultimate Guide for Motorcycle Accident Victims.