Get Help Now


You lost your loved one. It wasn’t supposed to happen, but someone—perhaps a drunk driver or a busy surgeon—made a mistake. He didn’t take the care he should have, and your loved one is dead.

You’ve decided to file an Illinois wrongful death claim.

Making this decision can be hard. Your loved one was so much to you. Perhaps his bad jokes made your every morning. Or maybe it’s the dirty socks under the bed that you miss. It can be overwhelming to think that these little things come down to a lawsuit.

Your Rockford personal injury attorney will help you through the process. His first task will be to put a value on your case. To do that, he’ll need to understand the role the deceased played in your family.

There are two types of damages that are available in Illinois wrongful death claims: economic damages and non-economic damages.

Economic damages are those losses that directly affect the household income. In Illinois, economic damages may include loss of financial support and loss of household personal services. Loss of financial support refers to the income the deceased provided to the household. Loss of household services refers to tasks that were performed by the deceased, such as mowing the lawn and doing the laundry that were provided by the deceased.

Non-economic damages include compensation for the loss of consortium (or loss of family relationships) and for the grief, sorrow, and mental anguish of the surviving family members.

You may also seek compensation for any medical bills and other expenses related to the death.

Filing a wrongful death claim is not easy. You are grieving; we understand. The attorneys at Hupy and Abraham will do everything possible to make this process easier for you. Call us at 800-800-5678 to schedule a free consultation and learn how we can help.


Jason F. Abraham
Managing Partner, Hupy and Abraham
Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment