Most seasoned riders are aware of everything about their bike, their gear, and their helmet. The idea of running through a safety checklist before they ride is almost second nature, since they can do it subconsciously.
For those just entering the wonderful world of riding, the Gurnee motorcycle accident attorneys in our office want to remind you that performing a multi-point checklist before jumping on a bike and riding away can increase your chances of avoiding a serious motorcycle accident later on down the road.
Here are just a few of the things that you absolutely must check off your list before riding:
- Proper fitting helmet. Wear it each and every time you ride.
- Protective gear, including gloves, boots, goggles, and padded pants and jacket. Serious road rash can happen to anyone, which is why you should never ride in shorts or a T-shirt.
- Brake inspection, including a visual check of all brake lines.
- Correct fluid levels, including oil and gasoline.
- Working controls, including the handlebars, clutch and all hoses and cables.
- Inspection of chassis parts, including frame and suspension.
- Tire inspection. Ensure appropriate air levels in tires, and check the treads for excessive or uneven wear.
- Battery life
Just one deficiency in any of these areas can lead to serious injuries or even death. Never take the chance of trying to get by with even one missing component of overall motorcycle safety. Take the time to prepare your bike and yourself for riding.
However, if you or a loved one is reading this because you have injured in an accident, contact the Gurnee motorcycle lawyers at Hupy and Abraham immediately for your free copy of The Ultimate Guide for Motorcycle Accident Victims and a complimentary case evaluation. Simply call us at 800.800.5678 or fill out our online form.